Thornby, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire, .5 miles NW of Brixworth station on the Northampton and Market Harborough section of the L. & N.W.R., and 10¼ NNW of Northampton. There is a post and telegraph office under Rugby; money order office, Guilsborough. The parish comprises 1232 acres; population, 214. The manor, with Thornby Hall, a mansion in the Elizabethan style, belongs to the Pender family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £312 with residence. The church is a building of stone partly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It has some good stained windows. There is a Union chapel, used by various denominations, and a reading-room.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thornby St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Brixworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thornby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thornby (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Thornby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: