Sywell, a parish, with a village in Northamptonshire, 5 miles W of Wellingborough, where there are stations on the L. & N.W.R. and M.R, It has a post office under Northampton; money order office, Mears Ashby; telegraph office, Moulton. Acreage, 2177; population, 232. The manor belongs to Lord Wantage. The village was rebuilt in 1861 by the late Lady Overstone. Sywell Hall is a good Elizabethan mansion of stone. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £363 with residence. Patron, H.R.H. The Prince of Wales. The church is a building of stone in mixed styles. The chancel was rebuilt in 1862, and the remainder of the church was restored and partly rebuilt in 1870.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sywell St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Wellingborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sywell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sywell (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sywell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: