Sutton Bassett, Northamptonshire
Sutton Bassett, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire, on the borders of Leicestershire, from which it is separated by the river Welland, 3 miles NE of Market Harborough, and 2 SW of Ashley and Weston station on the Market Harborough and Peterborough section of the L. & N.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Market Harborough. Acreage, 748; population of civil parish, 177; of the ecclesiastical, with Weston-by-Welland, 266. The manor belongs to Viscount Downe. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Weston-by-Welland. The church, which was rebuilt in 1856, is a building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel and nave only.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sutton-Basset St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Market-Harborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton Bassett from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sutton-Basset (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sutton Bassett are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: