Sudborough, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire, 8:½ miles NNW of Thrapston, where there are stations on the L. & N.W.R. and M.R. There is a post office under Thrapston; money order office, Brigstock; telegraph office, Lowick. Acreage, 1819; population, 247. There is a brewery. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is a building in mixed styles, Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, S porch, and a western tower. It has an ancient altar tomb with the brass effigy of a knight in armour, and some very early brasses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sudborough All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Thrapston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1660; marriages, 1662.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is an edifice in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, south porch and a western tower with pinnacles containing 5 bells: in the north transept is a mural brass to William West, ob. 1390, and Joan, his wife, ob. 1415, with eight children; here also is a small brass to John West, chaplain; William West; and Alice, wife of Richard Mason: under an arch in the north wall of the chancel is an ancient altar tomb, with the effigy of a knight in armour, said to represent Sir Robert De Vere and dating about 1250: the south porch was rebuilt in 1870, and the chancel was restored in 1872, at a cost of £450, under the direction of Mr. Law, architect of Northampton: in 1891 the church was thoroughly restored under the direction of Mr. J. C. Traylen, architect, of Stamford; and in 1892 the east window was filled with stained glass; the total cost amounting to about £1,700.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sudborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sudborough (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sudborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: