Stuchbury or Stotsbury, Northamptonshire
Stuchbury or Stotsbury, a parish in Northamptonshire, 1 mile W from Helmdon station on the Northampton and Banbury Junction railway, and 5 N by W from Brackley. Post town, Banbury; money order and telegraph office, Helmdon. Acreage, 1058; population, 22. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £31, in the gift of the University of Oxford. There was formerly a church in this parish, but this has long been destroyed.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stutchbury St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Brackley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register is included in that of Helmdon.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. John (parish church)
The chapel of St. John in this parish was attached to the Cluniac monastery of SS. Mary and John the Evangelist at Northampton, but has long been destroyed.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stuchbury or Stotsbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stutchbury (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: