UK Genealogy Archives logo

Stowe nine Churches, Northamptonshire

Historical Description

Stowe-nine-Churches or Church Stowe, a parish, with a village, in Northamptonshire, 1¼ mile SSE of Weedon station on the L. & N.W.R., which passes through the parish, and 5½ miles SE of Daventry. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Weedon. Acreage, 1814; population of the civil parish, 244; of the ecclesiastical, 257. The manor, with all the land, excepting the rectory, the rectory cottage, and glebe, belongs to the Corporation of the Sons of the Clergy. Ironstone and lime are found, and the parish is crossed by the Grand Junction Canal. There are remains of Roman camps. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £602 with residence. The church is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, vestry, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It has two ancient altar-tombs, with recumbent figures of a knight and a lady, and some memorial tablets. There is a chapel of ease at Upper Stowe.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthamptonshire 
Ecclesiastical parishStowe-Nine-Churches St. Michael 
HundredFawsley 
Poor Law unionDaventry 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1558.

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.


Churches

Church of England

St. James the Great, Upper Stowe

The chapel of ease of St. James the Great at Upper Stowe is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch, vestry and an open turret containing one bell; the east widow and one other are stained: the organ was erected to the memory of Mr. Thomas Starmer and his wife: there are 120 sittings.

St. Michael (parish church)

The church of St. Michael, originally Saxon, is a building of stone, and consists of chancel of two bays with aisles, nave of three bays, aisles, vestry on the north side, south porch and a Saxon embattled western tower containing 4 bells: the foundations of the Saxon church were, discovered by the late Sir Henry Dryden bart. (d. 1899), in the nave of the church, west of the pulpit, about the year 1860, when the church was restored. Parts of a Saxon cross or crosses are preserved in the baptistery, and some fragments have been used at some time to strengthen the inside walls of the belfry: in the church is an ancient altar tomb with the effigy of a cross-legged knight in chain mail, covered by a flowing tunic or cyclas; the front of the tomb bears a shield with the arms of the de L'isle family, and the effigy has been assigned to Sir Gerald de L'isle, who was lord of Stowe in 1272, and died c. 1287: on the north wall is a large and costly cenotaph of variegated marble, by Stayner, to Dr. Thomas Turner, President of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, who, in 1715, bequeathed the manor and estate here to the Governors of the charity for relief of poor widows and children of clergymen: there is also an altar tomb, with recumbent effigy, executed by Nicholas Stone, master-mason to Charles I. of the Lady Elizabeth, daughter and co-heiress of John Lord Latimer, and wife successively of Sir John Danvers and Sir Edmund Carey: she died in 1630; the effigy, executed ten years before her death, is one of the finest works of this distinguished sculptor: there are several tablets, including one to John Daye, citizen of London and Comptroller of the General Foreign post office, d. 1757, and Mary, his wife, d. 1767; and to the Rev. Charles Crawley B.C.L. 60 years rector of this parish, d. 4 Jan. 1849, and Mary, his wife, d. 31 Oct. 1819; at the entrance to the churchyard is a lych gate, also a memorial to the Rev. Charles Crawley before mentioned: the organ was the gift of Miss Anna Cordelia Crawley in 1905.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stowe nine Churches from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: