Ladock or Lassick, a parish containing the village of Besock, in Cornwall. The village stands on the river Ladock, in a fine valley, 2 miles W by S of Grampound Koad station on the G.W.R., and 7 NE of Truro, and has a post and money order office, of the name of Ladock, under Garmpound Road; telegraph office, Grampound Road. Acreage of parish, 5827; population, 982. Nansaugh is a chief residence. Large quantities of tin were long ago produced; iron ore of superior quality is sent hence to Swansea, and some comparatively large pieces of gold have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £360 with residence. The church stands on an eminence above Besock village, has been restored, and has a fine E stained window, and a beautifully proportioned tower. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels. A reading-room was opened in 1887, and the Oddfellows' Friendly Society have a lodge.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ladock St. Ladoca|
|Poor Law union||Truro|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Ladock 1686-1812, Cornwall is available to browse online.
The register of baptisms dates from the year 1684; marriages, 1686; burials, 1683.
Church of England
St Ladoca (parish church)
The church of St. Ladoca, seated on the brow of a hill, is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of nave of four bays, south aisle, north transept, or Trethurffe aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells; these bells were hung in 1883, at a cost of £380, to take the place of the old ones, which bore the dates of 1670 and 1743: the church was thoroughly restored in 1864, under the supervision of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. architect, at a cost of £2,000, the whole of which was defrayed by the late Canon R. F. Wise M.A. rector 1846-84, d. 1896, and to whom a memorial window has been placed in the church: there are several stained windows, one of which is a memorial to Mrs. M. A. Wise, d. 1862; another to Richard Wise M.D.; a third to Canon R. F. Wise, and a fourth to Miss M. A. H. Wise, d. 1899: there is an ancient Norman font of Purbeck marble: the memorials in the church include a slab found during the restoration, to the memory of John Randell, ob. 1665, and now placed at the west end: in the porch is a tomb inscribed to Nicholas Cornelius, of Ladock, ob. 1632: in 1907 an addition was made to the Trethurffe aisle and a vestry built at a cost of £550: the church affords 370 sitting. The churchyard was enlarged in 1869 and 1899: a churchyard cross of Labrador granite was erected in 1899 in memory of Canon and Miss Wise.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ladock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ladock (St. Ladoca))
Online maps of Ladock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.