Staverton, a parish, with a village, in Northamptonshire, 2½ miles WSW of Daventry, 5½ W by N of Weedon station, and 2½ from Daventry station on the L. & N.W.R. It has a post office under Daventry; money order and telegraph. office, Daventry. Acreage, 2223; population, 309. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Bromwich family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, .6380 with residence. Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The church is an ancient edifice of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, N and S porches, N chapel, and an embattled western tower; it was restored in 1884 at a cost of about £900. There are some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Staverton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Daventry|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1564 and is in good condition. In the church is kept a list of incumbents from 1220 to the present time.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, north and south porches, north chapel and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells, which were rehung in a new frame in 1910, and a clock, presented in 1895 by H. A. Attenborough esq. of Catesby House: the nave and chancel are divided from the aisle and chapel by an arcade of ten bays: there are stained windows in the chancel to Stephen Hands, d. 20 June, 1882, and others to Joseph Goodman, d. 1887, Sarah Goodman, d. 1892, and Uriah Goodman, d. 1896: the east window was refilled with stained glass in 1910: in the north chapel is an ancient monument with pillars of the Ionic order, inclosing a brass with figures of a man and woman kneeling at a desk, together with six sons and four daughters, and below these an inscription to Thomas Wylmer gent. ob. 31 Jan. 1580, and Elizabeth (Crudge), his wife; above are the arms and crest of Wylmer: in the chancel are monuments to the Rev. John Bull D.D. canon of Christ Church, Oxford, and 28 years vicar here, d. 21 Feb. 1858, and one with brass to the Rev. William Chase B.D. prebendary of Wells and 30 years vicar here, d. 6 Jan. 1815 ; there is also a tablet to the Darby family, dated 1733-66: in the wall between the aisle and chancel are sedilia, a piscina and hagioscope: the church was re-opened 21 Oct. 1884, after a thorough restoration, effected at a cost of £900, under the direction of Mr. H. M. Townsend; of Peterborough, and further alterations and repairs took place in 1910 at a cost of £2,000: an organ was provided in 1888 at a cost of £150, the brass lectern in 1887, and in 1897 a screen was erected within the tower arch to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Victoria: a new oak pulpit was provided in 1919 and the church was reseated in oak: there are 260 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Staverton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Staverton (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Staverton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: