Southwick, a parish in Northamptonshire, 2½ miles NNW of Oundle station on the Northampton and Peterborough section of the L. & N.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Oundle. Acreage, 4625; population. 272. The tracts of Rockingham, Forest Lodge, Spa Lodge, Crosswayham Lodge, and Moorhay Lawn, formerly extra-parochial tracts, are now included in Southwick parish. Southwick Hall, formerly the seat of the Lynn family, who entirely endowed the church, leaving also the large charities for the poor, and to whose memory a very fine monument is placed. in the church, is now the residence of the Capron family, who own the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £120 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, and an embattled western tower surmounted by a small spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Southwick St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Oundle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1732.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and an embattled western tower with small spire containing 2 bells: in the church is a monument, the work of Louis François Roubiliac, the celebrated sculptor, to George Lynn esq. of Southwick, dated 1758: there are stained memorial windows to the Rev. Thomas Richard Brown M.A. vicar from 1834, d. 1875, and Mary, his wife, d. 1874, and to their eldest daughter, Melicentia P. Lynn Church, who died in 1875: there are also brasses to the Rev. Anthony Cade, 1641, and to Mrs. Grace Lynn, 1681.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Southwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Southwick (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Southwick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: