Sibbertoft, a parish, with a village, in Northamptonshire, on the borders of Leicestershire, 2½ miles SE of Theddingworth station on the Rugby and Market Harborough section of the L. & N.W.R., and 5½ SW of Market Harborough. It has a post office under Market Harborough; money order and telegraph office, Husband's Bosworth. Acreage, 2048; population of the civil parish, 250; of the ecclesiastical, 310. The manor belongs to the Lady Elizabeth Villiers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £294 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough, who is also Rector. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, which was restored in 1864. There is an old brass plate in the church which tells how one " Anthony Atkins, priest, religious and learned, not having where to dwell, wandered hither sick and died in September 1535." The great battle of 14 June, 1645, in which Cromwell routed the Royalist troops, was fought almost as much in Sibbertoft parish as in Naseby, Prince Rupert's famous charge having been made out of Sibbertoft into Naseby. A farm in this parish is called " Prince Rupert's," while in an adjoining meadow even now there stands a gnarled and ancient oak, well guarded with posts and rails, which existed at the time of the fray. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sibbertoft St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Market-Harborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms and marriages dates from the year 1680; burials, 1695.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Helen (parish church)
The church of St. Helen is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower containing 5 bells: there are two piscinæ, one being of the Decorated period: the pulpit and reading desk are of carved oak; the entrance to the pulpit is by the rood-loft stair, discovered during some alterations: in the north aisle is a memorial window to Cecilia Jane Berkeley, d. 24 Dec. 1876, and in the tower another to the Rev. Thomas James M.A. vicar 1833-63: in the north aisle is an inscribed brass recording the renewal of the roof of the aisle by the Hon. Frederick and Lady Elizabeth Villiers, in memory of this vicar, 2 Dec. 1864; in 1871 a clock was placed in the tower and a brass erected in the south aisle by Lady E. Villiers in memory of the Hon. Frederick William Child Villiers, of Sulby Hall, late captain and adjutant Coldstream Guards and lieut.-col. Royal Elthorne Militia, who died in London, 24 May, 1871, and Lady Elizabeth (de Ginkel), his wife, d. 1897: there is also a monument to Ambrose Saunders esq. high sheriff of this county, d. 7 Oct. 1765, with others of that family, and a brass, with inscriptions in Latin and English, to Anthony Atkyns, ob. 20 Sept. 1564: besides other memorials to the Allicocke family, 1666-95: the church was enlarged in 1863, by the addition of a south aisle, and in 1888 a piece of ground, the gift of Lady E. Villiers, was added to the churchyard and consecrated.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sibbertoft from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sibbertoft (St. Helen))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sibbertoft are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: