Shuttlehanger or Shutlanger, Northamptonshire
Shuttlehanger or Shutlanger, a township in Stoke Bruerne parish, Northamptonshire, 1 mile W of the village of Stoke Bruerne, and 2½ miles ENE of Towcester. Acreage, 1363; population, 360. There are a school chapel belonging to the Church of England, a Wesleyan chapel, and a curious quondam chapel formerly connected with the Cistercian nunnery of St Mary Magdalene at Sewardesley, now used for cottage tenements.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Stoke Bruerne|
|Poor Law union||Towcester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shuttlehanger or Shutlanger from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shuttlehanger)
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: