Roade, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands near the main line of the L. & N.W.R., on which it has a station, 1½ mile E of the Grand Junction Canal, and 5½ S of Northampton, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Northampton. The parish comprises 1663 acres; population, 674. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belonged to St James' Abbey; was given at the dissolution to R. Fermor, Esq., passed in the time of James II. to S. Hoe, Esq., and belongs now to the Duke of Grafton, who is chief landowner. The manor-house is now a farmhouse called the Hyde. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £119. Patrons, the Duke of Grafton and the Rector of Ashton. The church is a building of stone in the Norman and Early English styles. It contains a piscina, an ancient altar-tomb without inscription, and some memorials to the Hoe and Henshaw families. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Roade St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hardingstone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
There is a cemetery of one acre, made in 1894, the cost including planting &c. was about £400.
The register dates from the year 1587.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a building of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, erected in 1850, south porch and a central tower containing 4 bells and a clock; a stone in the wall of the nave bears the date of 1619, which is the probable time of the re-erection of that portion of the edifice: a vestry was built, and an organ added in 1879, at a cost of £230: the chancel retains a piscina, and has an ancient altar tomb, without ornament or inscription, said to have been erected to Richard Wake, of Hartwell, second son of Roger Wake, of Blisworth, and his two wives, Dorothy, daughter of Sir Richard Dive kt. and Margaret, daughter of Thomas, Lord Grey and Marquis of Dorset; the upper half of an inscribed slab, found during some repairs to the chancel, bears the following legend: "Orate pro Animâ Dominae Matilde Mallipre quondam pri. • • • Animâ propicietvr Deus, Amen, Amen:" the date is probably about A.D. 1400: there are memorials to the Hoe and Henshaw families, 1706-72, and one to John Fawcett, alias Codlin M.A. minister, 1618: the church affords 220 sittings.
The Baptist chapel, founded in 1688 and rebuilt in 1725, will seat 450 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Roade from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Roade (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Roade are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: