Ringstead, a large village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands on the river Nene, adjacent to the Northampton and Peterborough branch of the L. & N.W.R., on which it has a station, 2½ miles S by W of Thrapston, and has a post and money order office under Thrapston; telegraph office, Rands, and a temperance and lecture hall, which was erected in 1861. The parish comprises 2021 acres; population, 887. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Boots and shoes are manufactured. A Roman camp is at Mill Cotton, and Roman coins and other relics have been found there. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Denford, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net value, £200 with residence. The church is a building in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, N and S porches, and a western tower with spire. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ringstead St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Thrapston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Cemetery, containing one acre with a mortuary chapel, was consecrated in 1893.
The register dates from the year 1570.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a building chiefly in the Early English style, with some Decorated portions, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, north and south porches and a western tower with spire containing a clock and 6 bells; the chancel retains sedilia, piscina and an aumbry: the church was thoroughly restored in the year 1863, at a cost of nearly £3,000, under the direction of Mr. William Slater, architect, of Northampton and London.
The Baptists have had a chapel in this village since the year 1714; the present chapel, erected in 1848, will seat 300 persons; attached are school rooms built in 1887, and holding, with the class rooms and infants' schoolroom, 200 children.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ringstead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ringstead (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ringstead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: