Pytchley, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands 2½ miles S of Kettering, and 2½ from Isham station on the main line of the M.R., and has a post office under Kettering; money order office, Broughton; telegraph office, Kettering. The parish comprises 286 6 acres; population, 528. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belongs to Lord Wantage. Pytchley Hall was a fine old seat of the Knightleys, became the headquarters of the Pytchley hunt, afterwards removed to Brixworth, and has been razed to the ground. Pytchley House is an ancient mansion standing in its own grounds. There is an allotment association called the Pytchley Allotment and Small Holdings Association Company (Limited). The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £290 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is an ancient edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a working-men's institute, and a parochial library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pitchley All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Kettering|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the 12th August, 1695.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with four pinnacles containing a clock and 5 bells; the bells are remarkable for their fine tune: the chancel was restored in 1861 by Samuel, 1st and last Lord Overstone: the nave and aisles were restored in 1903: the communion plate includes a silver chalice dated 1570: there are 300 sittings. An oak reredos was erected in 1913 to the memory of the late Capt. C. H. Heycock.
The Wesleyan chapel here was built in 1886.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pytchley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Pitchley, or Pytchley (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Pytchley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: