Preston Capes, Northamptonshire
Preston Capes, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands 5 miles SW of Weedon station on the L. & N.W.R. main line, 3 N of Moreton Pinkney station on the East and West Junction railway, and 5 S of Daventry, and has a post office under Daventry; money order and telegraph office, Byfield. The parish contains also the hamlet of Little Preston, which is about three-quarters of a mile SE of the village, and comprises 2793 acres; population, 205. The manor, with Fawsley Park, belongs to the Knightley family. An ancient castle formerly stood within the parish and has left some remains, the moat being distinctly traceable, but no masonry. A Cluniac priory was founded here in 1090 by Hugh de Leycester, and was removed to Daventry. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £298 with residence. Patron, Lord Knightley. The church, of the 14th century, is a building of stone chiefly of the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It is largely covered with ivy and has a very picturesque appearance.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Preston-Capes St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Daventry|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1613.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The church of St. Peter and St. Paul is an edifice of stone, principally in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells and a clock: the church was thoroughly restored in 1853, and refitted with carved open benches, pulpit and reading desk of oak; the flat roof of the chancel was also replaced by a high-pitched roof: most of the windows are partially stained: in the porch is a holy water stoup, and on the north wall of the chancel is a tablet to the Rev. Knightley Adams M.A. formerly rector of this parish, d. 12 Nov. 1769, and his three sons: in May, 1900, a new organ was provided and inscribed brasses placed in the church as memorials to the late Rev. Sir Valentine Knightley 4th bart. rector of this parish for over 60 years from 1836. A great portion of the church is covered with ivy, and from its commanding situation presents a highly picturesque appearance: there are 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Preston Capes from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Preston-Capes (St. Peter and St. Paul))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
This manor was purchased in the reign of Henry III. by Hugh de Capes, who obtained license from the prior of Daventry to build a chapel; Thomas Capes, his son, sold the manor to John Hylberd, of Fawsley, and it afterwards came into the possession of the Earl of Warwick, whose descendants gave it to the church of Our Lady at Warwick in the 37th year of Henry III.; in the 1st of Elizabeth the manor was in the possession of William Butler esq. by whose descendants it was alienated to Edward Knightley esq. of Fawsley.
Online maps of Preston Capes are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: