Pipewell, a liberty or hamlet of about thirty houses in the several parishes of Desborough, Great Oakley, Rushton, and Wilbarston, Northamptonshire, 2 miles N from Rushton station on the Kettering, Market Harborough, and Leicester section of the M.R., and 6 NNW from Kettering. Post town, Kettering; money order and telegraph office, Rothwell. The manor, with Pipewell Hall, a large mansion of stone standing in a small park, belongs to the Holden-Hambrough family. A Cistercian abbey was founded here in 1143 by W. Butevileyn, and has left some traces. A small chapel was erected here in 1881-82.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Harborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
The chapel of St. Mary, erected in 1881-2, at a cost of £600, is a building of stone in the Norman style and stands very near the site of the abbey: it consists of chancel and nave and an open bell-cote containing one bell: services were occasionally held here by the rector of Stoke Albany.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pipewell from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Pipewell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: