Pilton, a parish in Northamptonshire, on the river None, 2½ miles SW of Oundle, and 2¼ S of Thorpe Achnrch stations on the Northampton and Peterborough section of the L. & N.W.R. Post town, Oundle; money order and telegraph office, Wadenhoe. Acreage, 1406; population, 108. The manor belongs to Lord Lilford, who is also chief landowner. The old manor house, an ancient mansion situated on an eminence overlooking the vale of the None, was formerly a seat of the Tresham family. It is now the rectory, the late Lord Lilford having exchanged it for the old rectory, which had become dilapidated. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £103 with residence. Patron, Lord Lilford. The church is Early English, with a steeple, and has a memorial E window to Mr. F. E. Hodgson, put up in 1867. There are some useful charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pilton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Oundle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1569.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of eight bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower with spire containing 4 bells: the south doorway is a curious example of mixed styles of early date: a beautiful stained east window and three on the south side of the chancel were added in 1862: the church was thoroughly restored in 1875, at a cost of about £1,500; of which the patron, Lord Lilford, contributed about £1,400; the tower and spire were restored in 1896 at a cost of £280: there are sittings for 180 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pilton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pilton (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Pilton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: