Piddington, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river None, near Salcey Forest, 2 milea W from Horton station on the Bedford. and Northampton branch of the M.R., and 5½ SE by S of Northampton, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Northampton. The parish contains also the hamlet of Hackleton, and comprises 1693 acres; population of the civil parish, 523; of the ecclesiastical, with Horton, 1005. The manor belongs to Lord Wantage. Some of the land in this parish belongs to the Crown. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Horton, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint gross value, £177. The church is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a western tower with a lofty spire. It was restored in 1877-78 at a cost of about £1300. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Piddington, and there is a Baptist chapel at Hackleton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Piddington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hardingstone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register, including Hackleton, records baptisms from 1574; marriages, 1572; and burials, 1573.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch, and a western tower with lofty spire containing a clock and 5 bells: the church was partly restored in 1877-8, at a cost of £1,300, under the direction of Messrs. E. F. Law and Sons, architects, of Northampton, when the north aisle was rebuilt, the nave roof renewed and the tower efficiently repaired: in 1900 the spire was restored, the south aisle and porch rebuilt and the chancel new roofed, paved and furnished with a chancel arch and a new east window, at a cost of £1,320, under the direction of Messrs. Law and Harris, architects, of Northampton: in 1908 the interior of the church was restored, at a cost of about £600: there are 300 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Piddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Piddington (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Piddington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: