Peakirk, a parish, with a village, in Northamptonshire, on the G.N.R., adjacent to the river Welland at the boundary with Lincolnshire, 3.½ miles SE of Market Deeping. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Market Deeping; money order and telegraph office, Glinton. Acreage, 616; population, 252. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £270 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The church is an ancient and interesting building of Barnack stone in various styles, consisting of a chancel with N chantry, nave, aisles, S porch, and a bell-gable campanile. A chapel of the 13th century in the Early English style, formerly the cell of St Pega, stands in the village. It was restored and almost rebuilt in 1880, and is now used as a Sunday school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Peakirk St. Pega|
|Liberty||soke of Peterborough|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Peakirk from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Peakirk (St. Pega))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: