Pattishall or Pateshull, Northamptonshire
Pattishall or Pateshull, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands near Watling Street, 3½ miles N by W of Towcester station on the Northampton and Banbury Junction railway, and 4½ W from Blisworth station on the L. & N.W. main line. It has a post office under Towcester; money order and telegraph office, Bugbrook. The parish contains also the hamlets of Ascote, Dalscote, and Eastcote, and parts of Fosters Booth and Foxley. Acreage, 2689; population of the civil parish, 890; of the ecclesiastical, 903. Pattishall House is a mansion of brick standing in its own grounds on the Northampton Road, about a mile from the village. The chief industry of the village is the manufacture of boots and shoes. The living is a vicarage, formerly in two parts, called Pattishall Upper and Pattishall Lower, but which was consolidated in 1878, in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £340 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, with some remains of Saxon work, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. It was partially restored in 1872. There are two Baptist chapels and one Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities worth about £300 a year. Chief-Justices Simon and Martin de Pateshull, Bishop Hugh de Pateshull, and Dean Steward were natives.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pattishall Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Towcester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1556.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
The Holy Cross (parish church)
The church of the Holy Cross is a building of stone, in mixed styles, varying from Norman to Late Perpendicular, with a fine Norman chancel arch, and some remains of presumed Saxon work, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, vestry and a western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: the 5 old bells were re-cast, and the sixth added in 1908: there are piscinæ in the chancel and south aisle, and in the chancel is a stained window, inserted in 1876, by Marianne Richards, of Pattishall House: the church plate was given in 1663 by Alice, Duchess of Dudley: the church was partially restored in 1872: the vestry was enlarged, and a new organ erected in 1913: there are 300 sittings.
There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1838, with sittings for 150 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pattishall or Pateshull from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pattishall (Holy Trinity))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: