Orlingbury, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands 2½ miles SW of Isham and Burton Latimer station on the main line of the M.R., and 4 NW by N of Wellingborough, and has a post office under Wellingborough; money order and telegraph office, Wellingborough. The parish comprises 1939 acres; population, 288. The manor, with Orlingbury House, a fine mansion of stone, belongs to the Young family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £150 with residence. The church, a cruciform building of stone in the Decorated style, was rebuilt in 1843, and has a large circular E window, and a lofty balustraded and pinnacled tower. It has an ancient alabaster effigy, which is assigned by local tradition to " Jock of Bat-saddle," who is said to have killed the last wolf in England. Manning, the Saxon scholar, and one of the authors of the " History of Surrey," was a native. There are some ancient brasses, and also memorials of the Young and other families.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Orlingbury St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wellingborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1564.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
St. Mary's church, occupying the site of an earlier structure, is a cruciform edifice of stone, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel with north vestry, nave, transepts, south porch and a lofty central tower with pierced open parapet and crocketed pinnacles, and containing 5 bells, and a clock, placed in 1897, at a cost of £72, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Victoria: the large circular east window and four lancet windows. of the chancel are stained; the latter were the gift of the Rev. H. D. Hilton, rector, 1854-83: in a recess on the north side of the chancel is a recumbent effigy in alabaster, with camail attached to the bascinet, on the front of which is the inscription, "I. H. C. NAZARENI; " from the arms on the surcoat, "a fess between three lozenges," it might be assigned to a member of the family of De Orlingbury of the 14th century, but according to local tradition the figure represents "Jock of Batsaddle," who killed the last wolf in England: there are a number of mural tablets to the Young and other families: on the pavement in the south transept are four brasses to the Chybnale family, viz. Elizabeth Wingfield, wife of Thomas Chybnale esq. 1671; Elizabeth, wife of Godfrey Chybnale esq. 1673; Thomas Chybnale esq. 1673; and Godfrey Chybnale esq. 1678: on the south wall of the chancel is a small brass inscribed to John, father of Henry Max, rector 1450, and there is another to William Lane, 1502, and his wife: a new organ has been provided at a cost of £160: the church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1843, at a cost of about £3,000, and will seat 260 persons.
There is a small chapel, erected in 1830, for Dissenters of various sects, and seating 100 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Orlingbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Orlingbury (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Orlingbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: