Old or Wold, Northamptonshire
Old or Wold, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands 2¾ miles SE of Lamport station on the Market Harborough and Northampton section of the L. & N.W.R., and 6½ SW of Kettering, and has a post office under Northampton; money order office, Walgrave; telegraph office, Brixworth. The parish comprises 2076 acres; population, 294. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £210 with residence. Patron, Brasenose College, Oxford. The church is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of a chancel, nave, S aisle, N porch, and an embattled western tower. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Old St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Brixworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms and marriages dates from the year 1539; burials, 1559.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, south aisle, north porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells.
There is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1750, with sittings for 300 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Old or Wold from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Old, or Wold (St. Andrew))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: