Northborough or Northburgh, Northamptonshire
Northborough or Northburgh, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands 1½ mile S of the river Welland, at the boundary with Lincolnshire, 1½ NW of Peakirk station on the Spalding and Peterborough section of The G.N.R., 2½ miles NE from Helpstone station on the Leicester and Peterborough section of the M.R.,and 2 SSE of Market Deeping, and was known to the Saxons as Northburh. It has a post office under Market Deeping; money order and telegraph office, Glinton. The parish comprises 1205 acres; population, 227. The manor belongs to the Fitzwilliam family and the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. Northborough Manor House, originally built by Geoffrey de la Mare in 1340, and afterwards the property of the Claypole family, was the residence and death-place of Mrs Claypole, the favourite daughter of Oliver Cromwell; was the death-place also of Oliver Cromwell's wife; belongs now to the Fitzwilliams, and has been partially restored. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £170 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The church is an ancient building of stone chiefly in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, with some Norman remains; has a small loft and peculiar belfry, and includes a chantry chapel containing monuments of the Claypoles and the Cromwells. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Northborough St. Andrew|
|Liberty||soke of Peterborough|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of burials and marriages dates from the year 1538; baptisms, 1586.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, with traces of Norman and Early English, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south chapel or transept, south porch and a singular and lofty gable bell-cot at the west end, supported by tall flat buttresses of the 12th century, and containing 2 bells: on the south-east is a turret, containing a supposed priest's chamber: the transeptal chantry, a structure of Transition character from Decorated to Perpendicular, has fine windows, and some monumental arches and canopies, and contains monuments to the Cromwell and Claypole families: one tomb, dated 1594, was erected by Sir John Claypole, and in the chantry is a tomb containing the remains of Oliver Cromwell's widow, who died here in 1665: there is also an inscribed floor stone to Martha, daughter of John Claypoole esq. 1663: the chancel retains two piscinæ and a locker and has a crypt below and in the north aisle are brackets. The church was restored in 1893, when sedilia and a double piscina were discovered in the wall of the south aisle, and in the north aisle, a "sepulchre:" there are 150 sittings.
Primitive Methodist chapel
There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here, erected in 1869.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Northborough or Northburgh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Northborough (St. Andrew))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The remains of the manor house, built by Geoffrey de la Mare in 1340, are extremely interesting; these consist of the ground-floor of the gatehouse and the hall of the house: a groined archway covered the gateway and pastern, the corbels and part of the vaulting ribs still remaining: a doorway in the east wall led to a guard-room or porter's lodge, as well as to a stone staircase giving access to the storey above: the old hall is now much concealed within by modern sub-divisions; but at the west end three original doorways still remain; these have ogee-arched heads enriched with crockets and led to the kitchen, buttery and store-room: a staircase at the west end and another on the north side led to the rooms above: the hall was lighted by handsome square-headed Decorated windows on the north and south, and access was given by a doorway on the south: it still retains its original crocketed gable, culminating in an octagonal chimney at the west end, and a cornice enriched with the ball-flower ornament: the range of buildings westward of the gatehouse are of the first quarter of the century: Cromwell's widow died in this house in 1665, and it was the residence of Mrs. Claypole, his favourite daughter, who also died here and was buried in Henry VII.'s chapel at Westminster: it is now occupied as a farm house.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: