Newborough, a parish in Northamptonshire, adjacent to the boundary with Lincoln and Cambridge, 2 miles E of Peakirk station on the Peterborough and Spalding section of the G.N.R., and 5 NNE of Peterborough. It was formed in 1823 out of an open fenny common, and it has a post office under Peterborough; money order office, Eye; telegraph office, Glinton. Acreage, 5531; population of the civil parish, 748; of the ecclesiastical, with Borough Fen, 908. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. It also sends one member to the district council. The manor belongs to the Fitzwilliam family and the Marquis of Exeter. The land has been much improved by draining, and is now principally arable. A famous farm here, called Decoy Farm, got its name from a prolonged and extensive practice on it of capturing wild fowl, and is still used for that purpose. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £350 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church was built in 1830, and is a plain white brick structure with a small tower. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. Borough Fen is noticed separately.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Liberty||soke of Peterborough|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1831.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Bartholomew (parish church)
The church of St. Bartholomew, erected in 1830, is a plain building of white brick, consisting of chancel, nave and small embattled western tower containing 2 bells: there are 300 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Newborough)
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: