Nassington, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands on the river Nene, and on the Wansford and Seaton branch of the L. & N.W.R., on which it has a station, at the boundary with Huntingdon, and 5½ miles N by E of Oundle, and has a post office under Wansford (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Wansford. The parish comprises 2507 acres; population of the civil parish, 607; of the ecclesiastical, with Yarwell, 912. There is a parish council consisting of nine members, and it sends one member to the district council. Sulehay Lodge, formerly an extra-parochial tract, was annexed to Nassington in 1869, but the area is returned with that of Yarwell. The manor belongs to the Earl of Westmorland. The living is a vicarage, united with the perpetual curacy of Yarwell, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net value, £212 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is an ancient building of stone in mixed styles, dating from the Early Norman period, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and crocheted spire. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Nassington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Oundle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A cemetery of one acre was formed in 1832, at a cost of about £400, for this and the adjoining parish of Yarwell.
The register dates from the year 1560.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
The Virgin Mary and All Saints (parish church)
The church of The Virgin Mary and All Saints is an edifice of stone, dating from the Early Norman period and consisting of chancel, nave with embattled clerestory, aisles, south porch of Early English date and an embattled western tower, with an octagonal upper stage surmounted by a crocketed spire and containing 5 bells: the church exhibits some indications of Saxon work, and also affords excellent examples of every style of architecture down to Late Perpendicular: the tower aisles are also uncommon, and the nave roof is very fine: in the church stands part of the shaft of a Saxon cross, a portion of the ancient oak rood screen, a mortuary chalice and paten and some scallop shells, taken from the remains of the stone coffin of a crusader priest at the restoration of the church. There are remains of ancient glass in the windows of the south aisle and of wall-paintings in various parts: the Jacobean pulpit has an hour-glass stand attached, and there is a carved stone font: a peculiar feature of the chancel is that the floor falls eastward: the church was thoroughly repaired and reseated in 1885 at a cost of £1,700, and has sittings for 300 persons.
The Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1875, at a cost of £700.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nassington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Nassington (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Nassington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: