Moulton, a large village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands 3 miles E of Pitsford and Bramp-ton station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4 NE by N of Northampton, and has a post, money order, and telegraph officeunder Northampton. The parish comprises 3140 acres; population, 1382. There is a parish council consisting of thirteen members, and two members are sent to the district council. Moulton Grange is occupied by the Jamesons. Holly Lodge is a fine mansion of stone, standing in grounds of about 40 acies. Thorplands is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; netvalue, £150 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Norman, Transitional, and later styles, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a lofty tower and six bells. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, and charities amounting, it is said, for-Jnerly to £120 a year, but now much diminished.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Moulton St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Brixworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A cemetery of 2 acres was formed in 1881, at a cost of £300, and is under the control of the Parish Council.
The register dates from the year 1565.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an edifice of stone, in the Norman, Transitional and later styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower containing 6 bells, and a chiming clock, placed in the tower 11 Dec. 1902, at a cost of £200, as a memorial to Daniel George Lewis esq. M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. (who had practised in this district for 23 years) and his wife: the tower consists of three Decorated stages, above which has been added an Early Perpendicular belfry of much elegance: both north and south doorways to the rood loft, remain, and the chancel and both aisles retain piscinæ; the clerestory and porch were added in the 14th century: in 1880 the tower was new roofed, at a cost of £50, and the wall inclosing the south and east sides of the churchyard rebuilt, at a cost of £60, including new gates: in 1884 the bells were rehung, the interior of the tower restored, the clock repaired and a new clock floor relaid, at a cost of £200: the church has since been thoroughly restored under the direction of Mr. E. Law, architect, of Northampton, at a cost of about £3,500, when the north aisle was rebuilt, the whole structure new roofed, and the interior refitted, a new pulpit, reading desk and font being introduced: there are 400 sittings.
There is a Baptist chapel, founded in 1783, seating 300 persons
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Moulton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Moulton (St. Peter and St. Paul))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
Moulton Grange stands in a well-wooded park and is surrounded by extensive and wel laid out gardens and pleasure grounds.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Moulton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: