Middleton Cheney, Northamptonshire
Middleton Cheney, a large village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands 2 miles E of the river Cherwell, at the boundary with Oxfordshire, 2½ E by N of Banbury station on the G.W.R. and L. & N.W.R., and 1½ mile NW from Farthinghoe station on the L. & N.W.R. It is divided into two parts, called Lower and Upper; has a post and money order office under Banbury; telegraph office,. Chacombe; also a police court and station, where the pettv sessions tor the Brackley division are held monthly. Th& parish comprises 2320 acres, and is sometimes called Middleton Chenduit; population of the civil parish, 1100; of the-ecclesiastical, 969. The parish council consists of eleven members. The manor belongs to the Horton family. A battle was fought here in 1643, between the Royalists under the Earl of Northampton and the Parliamentarians. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £420 with residence. Patron, Brasenose College, Oxford. The church, which is one of the best in this part of Northamptonshire, is a spacious building of stone in the-Decorated style, and has a Perpendicular western tower with a graceful spire rising to a height of 150 feet; comprises a1so> nave, aisles, and chancel; has a porch of fine decorated stone work, with lofty ogee roof; was restored in 1865 at a cost of about £3000, under the direction of the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott, R.A.; and contains a well-preserved cinquefoil-headed piscina. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, nine almshouses built and endowed by Miss Horton in 1863-67, and some other charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Middleton-Cheney All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Banbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1558.9
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a spacious edifice of stone in the Decorated style of the early 14th century, and consists of chancel with vestries, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower, with pinnacles and graceful spire rising to a height of nearly 150 feet, and containing a clock and 6 bells, dating from 1640 to 1693: the spire was repaired in 1897: the porch has a lofty groined roof, and the doorway, as well as that of the tower, is richly ornamented: there is an oak screen of Perpendicular date, originally coloured, to which a new cornice, designed by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. was added in 1865: in the chancel is a piscina and a singular double locker or aumbry; the north vestry also retains a piscina: the stained east window is a memorial to William F. Croome M.R.C.S. d. 1865, and in the south aisle is another to Robert and James Groome eqrs.: two stained windows in the north aisle and the west window were the gift of Miss Horton; the south window of the chancel is a memorial to the Ven. Ralph Churton M.A. archdeacon of St. David's, and rector here 1792, d. 28 March, 1831; there are also three other stained windows, designed by William Morris F.S.A. and the late Sir E. Burne-Jones bart. D.C.L.: the manorial pew still remains at the east end of the north aisle: in the south vestry is a mural tablet with quaint inscription to John Barkesdale esq. 1701: the church was restored in 1865 at a cost of over £3,000, under the direction of Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A., the churchyard being at the same time enlarged: there are 300 sittings. A battle was fought here in May, 1643, between the Royal and Parliamentary forces, when the latter were defeated, and 46 soldiers were buried in the churchyard.
There is a Baptist chapel, founded in 1740, with sittings for 400 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Middleton Cheney from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Middleton-Cheney (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Middleton Cheney are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: