Maxey, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands near the river Welland at the boundary with Lincolnshire, and near Ermine Street, 1½ mile N by E of Helpston station on the M.R., and 1½ SW of Market Deeping, and is a straggling place. The parish contains also the hamlet of Deeping Gate. It has a post office under Market Deeping; money order and telegraph office, Market Deeping. Area of Maxey, 1483 acres; population, 313. Area of Deeping Gate, 691 acres; population, 191. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 504. The parish council, under the Local Government Act, 1894, consists of five members. The manor and most of the land belong to the Fitzwilliams. A small outlying tract is called Nunton. A moated castle, the seat of the Countess of Richmond, stood at Castle End, and is now represented by only part of the moat. Lolham Bridges, consisting of eleven arches, are supposed to have been bnilt by the Romans, and took Ermine Street over low grounds contiguous to the Welland. At Lolham House resided Mrs Claypole, daughter of Oliver Cromwell. Two handsome bridges give communication across the Welland to Deeping St James and Market Beeping. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Deeping Gate, in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £248 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The church is an ancient and interesting building of Bamack stone partly Norman, partly of later dates. It has an embattled western tower, and was restored in 1864. There are a Congregational chapel and a church estate worth about £60 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Maxey St. Mary|
|Liberty||soke of Peterborough|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register, including Deeping Gate, dates for marriages and burials from the year 1538; baptisms, 1552.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The church of St. Peter and St. Paul, situated at a considerable distance from the village of Maxey, stands on the great level of the Fen, that site having been raised as a precaution against the floods which formerly inundated the district: it is an edifice of Barnack stone, in the Norman, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, with north chantry, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower of three stages containing 6 bells: some of the piers and arches and two stages of the tower, enriched with billet moulding and arcading, are Norman, but the belfry stage of the tower is Perpendicular: the font was presented by the Argles family as a memorial to the Right Rev. George Davys D.D. Bishop of Peterborough 1839-64: there is also a collection of ancient and modern relics formed by the Rev. W. D. Sweeting M.A. a former vicar of the parish: the chancel retains a piscina, three fine sedilia, two lockers and a low side window, and the arch between the north aisle and the chantry beyond it has rich hanging tracery: the chantry has also a piscina, and a third remains where was once the rood loft: at the south-east angle of the chancel is a small chamber, six feet square, with a stone groined roof: on the floor are stones inscribed to Thomas Anable, 1402, and John de Bykyr, of the 14th century: the communion plate is of the dates 1570 and 1601: the chalice is richly engraved: the church was restored in 1863-4, and will seat 200 persons.
There is a small Congregational chapel, erected in 1809, and rebuilt in 1862.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Maxey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Maxey (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: