Marston Trussell, Northamptonshire
Marston Trussell, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands adjacent to the boundary with Leicestershire, 1¾ mile E of Theddingworth station on the L. & N.W.R., and 3 miles W by S of Market Harborough. The parish includes also Thorpe Lubenham, which was formerly an extra-parochial tract. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Market Harborough. Area of parish, 1713 acres; population, 176. The manor, with Marston Trussell Hall, belongs to the Bennett family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £600 with residence. The church, a building of stone in the Early English style, is of the 14th century, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Marston-Trussel St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Market-Harborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1561.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells: in the middle mullion of the northern belfry window are a series of six "merchants' marks," very deeply cut, and probably of the 14th century; and on the western windows another series: on the north side of the chancel is a monument with kneeling effigy to Mark Brewster, of London, who died at Moscow in 1612, the east window and those in the north aisle are stained and were placed by the late Barwell Ewins Bennett esq. (d. 1890) and other members of the family. The porch is a half-timbered structure. The south aisle was restored in 1907 and a stained window placed in the west end of it as a memorial to Mrs. Ewins. The communion plate is silver and dates from 1571.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marston Trussell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Marston-Trussel (St. Nicholas))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
Trussell Hall is an Elizabethan mansion, to the west side of which considerable additions were made by Barwell Ewins Bennett esq. about 1847; it stands at the west end of the village, and on the south side is a sheet of water studded with islands.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Marston Trussell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: