Marholm, a parish in Northamptonshire, 1½ mile W of Walton station on the M.R., and 4½ miles NW by N of Peterborough. Post town, Peterborough; money order and telegraph office, Glinton. Acreage, 1412; population, 157. The whole of the land, with the manor, belongs to the Fitz-william family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £188 with residence, in the gift of the Fitzwilliam family. The church is partly Norman, partly Early English, partly Later English, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower, and contains some interesting monuments of the Fitzwilliams. There are endowed almshouses for four poor persons.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Marholm St. Cuthlac|
|Liberty||soke of Peterborough|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1566.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a building of stone, in the Norman, Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing one bell: the nave is Early English and the tower chiefly Norman: some of the windows contain portions of stained glass: under the south-east arch of the nave arcade, on a finely-carved and panelled altar tomb, is the recumbent effigy of a knight in plate armour, with tunic and collar of SS. and believed to represent Sir John de Wittelbury kt. lord of the manor of Marholm, temp. Richard II. and Henry IV.; the tomb was formerly much mutilated, but has been restored: the chancel, which is of Perpendicular date, has an open timber roof and on the walls are suspended several helmets and military weapons: against the north wall, under a canopy, are two brass effigies standing erect, of a knight in a surcoat and his lady in a mantle, emblazoned with the Fitzwilliam and other arms and representing Sir William Fytzwillyams kt. ob. 1534, and his wife; from the mouth of each projects a label, upon which is written "Prohibere nefas;" this monument was repaired and beautified in 1674; on the opposite side is an altar tomb with recumbent effigies, carved in clunch and coloured, of Sir William Fitzwilliam kt. ob. 1599, and Ann (Sydney), his wife, ob. 1603: on the north wall is a magnificent marble monument, richly carved with life-size standing effigies of William, 1st Earl Fitzwilliam, d. 28th Dec. 1719, and Anna (Cremor), his wife, 1717: inserted in the south wall is a brass plate inscribed to Charles William, 5th Earl Fitzwilliam K.G. d. 4th Oct. 1857: the silver breadholder used is dated 1633, and other silver utensils belonging to the church are dated 1867 and 1750: the church was restored in 1868 by the Fitzwilliam family, when the aisles, destroyed about 1480, were rebuilt: there are 130 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marholm from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Marholm (St. Cuthlac))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: