Long Buckby, Northamptonshire
Buckby, Long, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands near the head of the river Nen, 1 mile E of Watling Street, and 5½ NE of Daventry. It has a station of the same name on the L. & N.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Rugby. Acreage of the civil parish, 4078; population, 2207; of the ecclesiastical, 2263. The parish includes also Long Buckby Wharf, a hamlet situated 2 miles from the village, on the banks of the Grand Junction Canal, and containing a mission church, and part of the hamlet of Murcott. Long Buckby has a large market-place, in the centre of which stands a fine coronation pole. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, e£305 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough. The parish church of St Laurence was probably built in the Early English period, and afterwards Decorated. Its restoration was completed in 1883. There is a Congregational chapel erected in 17 7 S with a minister's residence, and a Baptist chapel built in 1846. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the making of boots and shoes, and brewing, malting, lime burning, and brick-making are also carried on. Fairs are held on 1 May and 11 Oct., and during the summer months cattle sales are held fortnightly on Tuesdays. Buckby Hall, a modern country seat, is situated near the centre of the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Long Buckby St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Daventry|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1562.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Lawrence (parish church)
The church of St. Lawrence is a building of stone, originally in the Early English and Decorated styles, to which, in 1774, incongruous aisles in a debased Classic style were added, but these were removed at the restoration in 1883-7: the church now consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing a clock and 5 bells dating from 1624 to 1814: the tower is Early English, the arcades of the nave Decorated: the chancel retains three Decorated sedilia, a piscina, and an aumbry: between the east end of the north aisle and the chancel is an arch of both periods, apparently for a tomb, but now occupied as an organ chamber: the church was restored internally in the year 1862, under the superintendence of the late Sir G. G. Scott R.A. at a cost of £1,200: the external restoration of the south aisle was carried out in 1883, at a cost of £630, under the direction of Mr. W. Bassett-Smith, architect, and the north aisle was restored in 1885, at a further cost of £300: the stained east window is a memorial to the sister of the late Canon Yate: in the chancel are tablets to Richard Hanwell esq. d. 1792, and Elizabeth, his wife, d. 1791; to John King esq. J.P., D.L. d. 1816, and Jane, his wife, d. 1831; another to Elizabeth Freeman, their eldest daughter and wife of Samuel Vanderplank esq. d. 1824; there are 500 sittings.
St. Lawrence Mission church (parish church)
The Mission church, near the wharf, erected in 1875, on a site given by the late John A. Craven esq. was improved in 1903 by the addition of an apse, chancel screen and porch, etc.
The Baptist chapel, erected in 1846, has sittings for about 600 persons.
The Congregational chapel, built in 1773, and enlarged in 1819, will seat nearly 600 persons; adjoining is the minister's residence and a Sunday school, erected in 1880, on a site given by the late Thomas Haynes esq.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Long Buckby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Buckby, Long (St. Lawrence))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Long Buckby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: