Little Oxendon, Northamptonshire
Oxendon, Little, a hamlet, formerly belonging to Little Bowden parish, but which was transferred to Great Oxendon parish, Northamptonshire, in 1888, 2 miles SW of Market Harborough. The property belongs to Mr Paget Coins, pottery, and tiles have been excavated, and are supposed to have been inhumed by devastating fire at the tune of the battle of Naseby.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Little Bowden|
|Poor Law union||Harborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Oxendon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Oxenden, Little)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Little Oxendon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: