Kislingbury, a parish of Northamptonshire, on the river Nen, 3½ miles W of Northampton. It has a post office under Northampton; money order office, Bugbrook; telegraph office, Duston. Acreage, 1844; population, 725. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £530 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Early Decorated style, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower with spire. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kislingbury St. Luke|
|Poor Law union||Northampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1538.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Luke (parish church)
The church of St. Luke is an edifice of stone, in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with small pinnacles and spire, relieved by two tiers of spire tights, and containing 5 bells and a clock: the east end has double buttresses and a fine window of five lights, with reticulated tracery; on either side of this window, on the inside, is an extremely rich octagonal canopy; and there are triple canopied sedilia, and a piscina of the same character: the font dates from about 1450: the communion plate includes a cup of the reign of Queen Elizabeth: in 1912 the interior of the church was restored at a cost of about £700: the lectern was presented on Christmas Day, 1912, by Miss Montgomery, of Milton, in memory of John Watts and Harriett Andrew Manning: the first portion of the work was completed Feb. 2, 1903, and comprised a general renovation of the chancel and vestry: a new pulpit, the gift of the family of the late C. H. Watts esq. and choir stalls have been provided: there are 550 sittings.
The Baptist chapel and minister's residence was the gift of the late Richard Harris esq. of Kislingbury Hall.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kislingbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kislingbury (St. Luke))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kislingbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: