Kings Sutton, Northamptonshire
King's Sutton, a village and a parish, giving name to a. hundred in Northamptonshire. The village stands near the river Cherwell, the Oxford Canal, the Oxford and Birmingham section of the G.W.R. on which it has a station, and the boundary with Oxfordshire, 4½ miles SSE of Banbnry. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office, under Banbury. The parish was united for all civil purposes with that of Newbottle in 1885, and it includes the hamlets of Astrop, Purston, Charlton, and Walton grounds. Acreage of the-united parishes, 6356; population of civil parish, 1564; of the ecclesiastical parish of King's Sutton, 1139; of Newbottle, with Charlton, 425. The living at King's Sutton is a discharged vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £90 with residence. The church is a large building of stone, the chancel being Norman of the 12th century, with three arches in the nave also Norman, the rest being Later Decorated and Perpendicular. It consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and porches, and has a beautiful western tower with lofty crocketed spire. There are also Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels, and several useful charities. Astrop House, a fine mansion of stone standing in a park of 100 acres, and the manor house at King's Sutton, are chief residences. A mineral spring, called St Rumbald's Well, at Astrop, was at one time greatly celebrated for its medicinal virtues, but now enjoys only a local reputation. See also the article NEWBOTTLE.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||King's Sutton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Brackley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A cemetery of one acre was formed in 1903, at a cost of £200; the lych gate at the entrance was given by the late Sir W. R. Brown bart. and Lady Brown.
The register of marriages dates from the year 1570; baptisms, 1582; burials, 1614.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The church of St. Peter and St. Paul is of stone, chiefly in the Norman, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, dating from 1183, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, north and west porches and a beautiful western tower of two stages, finished with a plain moulded parapet, from within which rises a lofty and extremely graceful crocketed spire, relieved on its principal faces by tall spire lights; on the intermediate faces are crocketed pinnacles and other slender pinnacles of less height rise from the angles of the tower, with traceried flying buttresses; the tower contains a clock and 8 bells: the clerestory is embattled, but the parapets of the aisles are plain: the font consists of an octagonal basin resting on a pedestal: the interior of the chancel is relieved on the north and south sides by a Norman arcading: the stained east window of four lights and one on the south side were given by members of the Willes family: the nave and chancel are separated by a very beautiful Decorated screen in eight-arched divisions, partially inclosed below and filled above with elaborate tracery, over which is a coved cornice ornamented with small ribs and finished with a cresting: the pulpit, of Perpendicular date, has traceried panelling and the seats are enriched with carved poppy heads and have panelled doors: in 1866 the chancel was restored by Mrs. Willes, under the direction of the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. in memory of her husband. William Willes esq. lord of the manor and patron of the living, who died in 1865: in 1883-4 the ornamental portions of the spire and the roofs of the aisles were repaired, at a cost of about £850, under the direction of Mr. H. W. Townsend, architect, of Peterborough: there are sittings for 600 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kings Sutton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sutton, King's (St. Peter))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: