Kelmarsh, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands near the Market Harborough and Northampton section of the L. & N.W.R., 5 miles S from Market Harborough, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Northampton. The parish comprises 2867 acres; population, 179. The manor, with Kelmarsh Hall, belongs to the Naylor family. The land is chiefly in pasture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £640 with residence. The church is Early English, in good condition, and has a spire. The boys of this parish have the privilege of attending the free grammar school at Clipston.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kelmarsh St. Denis|
|Poor Law union||Market-Harborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1608.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Denys (parish church)
The church of St. Denys is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, long nave, north aisle, porch and a western tower with broach spire containing 6 bells: the church was thoroughly restored and the interior elaborately decorated in 1874, at the expense of the late R. C. Naytor esq. and under the direction of Mr. J. K. Colling, architect, of London.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kelmarsh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kelmarsh (St. Denis))
Land and Property
Kelmarsh Hall is an ancient building of red brick surrounded by extensive grounds adjoining the village; it was purchased by G. G. Lancaster esq. in 1902 from the trustees of the late R. C. Naylor esq. (d. 1899), who acquired it from Lord Bateman in 1865.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kelmarsh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: