Isham, Superior and Inferior, Northamptonshire
Isham, Superior and Inferior, form a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nene, near the M.R., 3 miles SSE from Kettering, and has a station, jointly with Burton Latimer, on the railway, and a post office under Kettering; money order and telegraph office, 'Burton Latimer. The parish comprises 1401 acres; population, 358. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, about £197. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is a building of stone in the Norman and Decorated styles. There is a Wes-leyan Reform chapel, and there are several small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Isham St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Wellingborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1701.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is an edifice of stone in the Norman and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel with north and south chapels, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: on the eastern gable of the nave is a small bell turret: in each of the chapels is a piscina and in the south wall of the chancel a hagioscope: in the pavement of the chancel is a small inscribed brass to John Boyville esq. ob. 1493; the effigy is lost and the inscription much worn: in 1870 the church was renovated and restored, the chancel new roofed, and the north porch erected, at a cost of £1,000: there are about 130 sittings.
Wesleyan Reform chapel
The Wesleyan Reform chapel, built in 1861 at a cost, including site of £350, has sittings for 200 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Isham, Superior and Inferior from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Isham (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: