Irthlingborough, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands near the river Nene, and near Higham Ferrers station on the L. & N.W.R., 2 miles N from Higham Ferrers; is popularly called Artleboro'; consists chiefly of one street, about a mile long; carries on trade in the making of boots and shoes, and the quarrying and working of ironstone; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Higham Ferrers (R.S.O.) The parish comprises 3721 acres; population, 2998. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. . Some remains exist of a secular college, founded in the time of Edward III. by Lord Mayor PyeL The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value,, £280 with residence. The church is a large and ancient building chiefly in the Early English and Transitional Decorated styles; it has some interesting tombs and monuments. A stone cross, 13 feet high on steps, is near the church. There are Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Irthlingborough All Saints, and St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Wellingborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A cemetery of 1¼ acres was formed in 1879, of which the ground cost £450; in 1904 an additional 1½ acres, at an entire cost of £718, was added; it contains a mortuary chapel.
The register dates from the year 1562.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is an ancient cruciform structure of considerable size, chiefly in the Early English and Transitional Decorated styles, and consists of chancel and nave, each with an embattled clerestory, aisles, transepts, western porch and a fine semi-detached tower 99 feet high, which stands a little to the west of the church, and is connected with the west porch of the church by a rectangular building once forming part of the college, but the original use of which is uncertain: the tower proper is of four stages, three of these being supported by double angle buttresses; the belfry storey is lighted on each side by couplets, each pair separated by a canopied niche; at the angles are flat buttresses rising into octagonal pinnacles, and between these an embattled parapet; surmounting the whole is an octagonal battlemented lantern of two stages, and in each face of the upper stage are windows of three lights with quatrefoil tracery in the heads: the embattled parapet is corbelled out: and there is a short concave spirelet. The tower, having been found to lean towards the south-east to the extent of 2ft. 6in. was, in 1887, entirely taken down, and after a new and solid foundation of concrete had been laid, the rebuilding was begun on 8 Aug. 1888, and completed in May, 1893, and the tower, as it now stands, is precisely the same as before, with the exception that the unfinished turrets at the angles of the tower proper have been completed. A new frame of iron work was provided for the belfry: the 6 old bells rehung, and 2 new ones added: the total cost amounting to about £2,500: in 1906 a clock was provided: in the ground stage of the tower is an inscription recording its rebuilding, and another inscription stating that the lantern was rebuilt by Maria Lucas, of Burfield Priory, in memory of her brother James John Seymour Spencer Lucas: on the south side of the south aisle is an altar tomb, panelled with quatrefoils inclosing shields, and bearing the alabaster effigies, now much mutilated, of John Pyell and Joan his wife: upon a modern tomb in the chapel at the east end of the south aisle is the mutilated effigy of a lady representing Anne (Parr), second wife of Sir Thomas Cheyne knt.: at the east end of the south aisle is an ancient tomb under a canopied arch, and in the chancel are marble tablets of various dates: the Perpendicular stalls, dating from 1485, remain: the body of the church was fully restored in 1881 at a cost of £2,400.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Irthlingborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Irthlingborough (All Saints, and St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Irthlingborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: