Horton, a parish in Northamptonshire, on an affluent of the river Nene, near the boundary with Bucks, with a station' on the Northampton and Bedford branch of the M.R., 6½ miles SE from Northampton. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Piddington. Acreage, 1936; population of the civil parish, 112; of the united ecclesiastical parish,. 1005. The manor belonged formerly to the Salusburys, the-Parrs, the Lanes, the Montagues, and others, and, with Horton. Hall, belongs now to the Phipps family. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Piddington, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint gross value, £177 with residence. The church is Decorated English, and was partly rebuilt, partly restored, in 1862. It contains some interesting tombs and monuments. Montague, the first Earl of Halifax, the friend of Addison, Pope, and other literati, was born at Horton Hall.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Horton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hardingstone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms dates from the year 1612; marriages and burials, 1626.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and a western tower containing a clock and 3 bells: the stained east window is a memorial to Capt. Gunning Sutton R.N. who died in 1852: in the chancel is an altar tomb with finely-worked recumbent effigies in alabaster to William Lord Parr of Horton K.G. Lord Chamberlain to Katherine, the last Queen of Henry VIII. ob. 10 September, 1546, and Mary (Salisbury), his wife, ob. 10 July, 1555; the tomb is divided into compartments with semi-circular arched canopies of a debased Italian style, with shields at the ends and figures at the sides: in the chancel is also a slab with brass effigies of a knight in plate armour between two females in veiled head-dresses, and furred gowns, and beneath these is an invocatory inscription to Roger Salisbury, ob. 1491, and Emma and Anne, his wives: a new heating apparatus was added in 1909 by G. H. Winterbottom esq.: a stained window was erected in 1908 in the south-east end in memory of Sir George, Sir Frederick and Col. Gunning by the late Lady Gunning and family: an oak tower screen was added in 1912 in memory of the late Miss Gunning: there are 100 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Horton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Horton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
Horton House is a handsome mansion, a short distance from the village, standing in a park of about 200 acres: the portico of the front entrance is supported by six massive and lofty pillars, the capitals of which are finely carved: a new wing was added in 1909.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Horton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: