UK Genealogy Archives logo

Helidon, Northamptonshire

Historical Description

Helidon, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands near the source of the Learn, and near the boundary with Warwickshire, 5 miles SW from Daveutry, and 4 N from Byfield station on the Eastern and Western Junction railway. It has a post office under Daventry; money order office, Priors Marston; telegraph office, Byfield. The parish comprises 1661 acres; population, 290. The surface is hilly, and commands beautiful views of the surrounding country. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, about £100. The church is Early Decorated English, consists of nave, chancel, and north aisle, with porch and towers. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a school endowment of £20 a year, and some small charities.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthamptonshire 
Ecclesiastical parishHellidon St. John the Baptist 
HundredFawsley 
Poor Law unionDaventry 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1571.

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.


Churches

Church of England

St. John the Baptist (parish church)

The church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, with aisle (erected in 1897, as a memorial of the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Victoria), nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells and a clock; the church was thoroughly repaired in 1847 and in 1867 it was enlarged and decorated and a north aisle added: a credence table of oak has been presented by the Rev. G. F. L. Davis M.A. curate here, 1868-77; the reredos is of white freestone inlaid with marble: the chancel retains sedilia: the east and west windows are stained and on the south side of the chancel are two others, erected in memory of Fanny Lee, d. 4 March, 1876: an organ was provided in 1896: there are 200 sittings.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Helidon from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: