Haselbeech or Hazlebeech, Northamptonshire
Haselbeech or Hazlebeech, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire, 8½ miles S from Market Harborough, and 4 W from Lamport station on the L. & N.W.R. There is a post office, of the name of Hazlebeech, under Northampton; money order and telegraph office, MaidwelL The parish comprises 1653 acres; population, 171. Hazlebeech Hall is a building of stone which stands in its own grounds near the church, and is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, £251 with residence. The church, which consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower, is a building of stone in the Later English style, and was mainly rebuilt in 1859.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Haselbeech St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Brixworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1653; marriages, 1695.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells: the church was thoroughly restored in 1860 at a cost of £1,100, the old oak benches being preserved and new open benches of a similar character provided: in 1869 the tower was repaired and the bells re-hung at a further cost of £210: the large organ was the gift of Selina, Viscountess Milton, who married, as her second husband, the late George Savile Foljambe esq. of Osberton, Notts: in 1872 a mortuary chapel with a crypt or vault, designed by Mr. A. Salvin, was built at the north-east angle of the church: the chancel is separated from the church by a wrought iron screen: the oldest monument in this church, dated 1661, is to a member of the Wykes family, and there are others to the same name: the chancel was rebuilt in 1881, by the Rev. Canon Bury B.A. late rector, at a cost of about £800, and the carving, executed by Mr. Forsyth, was completed at a cost of £300, defrayed by Elizabeth Pym: the churchyard is beautifully kept and adorned with flowers.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Haselbeech or Hazlebeech from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Haselbeech (St. Michael))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: