Hartwell, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands near the boundary with Bucks, 2 miles SE from Roade station on the L. & N.W.R., and 7½ SSE from Northampton, and has a post office under Northampton; money order and telegraph office, Eoade. The parish comprises 1569 acres; population, 477. The manor belongs to the Duke of Grafton. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, £110. The church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, was built in 1851, is in the Norman style, consists of nave, chancel, and N aisle, and includes a fine Norman arcade, removed from the previous church. There are a Wesleyan chapel and charities worth about £18 a year. About a quarter of a mile NNE of the village is the ancient forest of Salcey, belonging to the Crown, in which Salcey Lawn is situated. Hartwell is celebrated for its lace.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hartwell St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Potterspury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1683, and under the date 1690 contains an entry of the death of Nathaniel Broughton, aged 105 years, with a statement on the margin that he was married at the age of 102 years.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1851, at a cost of £2,000, from designs by Mr. Charles Vickers, of London, is a building of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle and a western turret, containing one bell: the interior fine Norman arcade, removed from the old church, which stood about 2 miles south of the village, has been incorporated: the organ, erected at a cost of £100, was the gift of Mrs. Fitzroy, of Salcey Lodge, and the late Mrs. Castleman presented the communion plate: there are 300 sittings.
There is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in the year 1889.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hartwell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hartwell (St. John the Baptist))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hartwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: