UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Grampound, Cornwall

Historical Description

Grampound, a decayed ancient town in Cornwall. It stands on the river Fal, 1½ mile SSE of Grampound Road station on the G.W.R. (Cornwall), and 2½ miles NNE of Tregony, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office. It is supposed to have been the Voliba of Ptolemy; took the name of Grampound, originally Grandpont, signifying " great bridge," from a bridge built at it over the Fal; acquired the right of a market from John of Eltham, Earl of Cornwall, brother of Edward III.; was made a borough after the Earl's death by Edward III.; sent two members to parliament from the time of Edward VI. to 1824, when it was disfranchised for corrupt practices; had for one of its parliamentary representatives, in 1620, John Hampden; consists now chiefly of one street on a declivity, and has a granite cross, a town-hall, and Bible Christian, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels. Six ancient camps are in its neighbourhood on the Fal; one of them, 1 mile S, on Golden farm; another, half a mile NE, on the road to St Austell; another, 1 mile W, on the road to Truro; another, 1 mile N, close to the Fal; another, a little farther N, called Resugga Castle; and another, 1 mile W of Resugga, on Barrow Down. A chapel of ease, now used as the parish church, was erected in 1869, and is in the Early English style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCornwall 
Civil parishProbus 
Poor Law unionSt. Austell 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church of England

St. Nunn (parish church)

Here was formerly a chapel of ease, licensed August 3rd, 1421, and dedicated to St. Nunn, or St. Naunter; it was used for divine service up to 1815, but fell into ruins about the year 1820; in 1827 every vestige of it had been carried away, and from that time until 1869 the site was used as a playground and sheep market: in that year, through the exertions of the Rev. Philip Woollcombe, a former rector of Creed, a new chapel was erected on the old site, and consecrated by Bishop Trower (commissary for Dr. Philpotts, Bishop of Exeter) on the 30th of June in the same year; it is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of apsidal chancel, with a reredos beautifully carved in Caen stone, nave, with lofty open roof, south porch and a turret containing one bell: there are 250 sittings. Some remains of the old chapel, including a very pretty rose window, were built into a cottage or lodge at the entrance to the grounds of Veryan vicarage. In the old chapel there were sittings appropriated to the mayor and corporation, and it is said that on the day of choosing the mayor, which took place in the Town Hall, if the corporation could not agree, they retired into the chapel, where they remained until they were unanimous in their choice.
Grampound church

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Grampound from the following:


Online maps of Grampound are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:

Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

RegionSouth West
Postal districtTR2
Post TownTruro