Harlestone, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire, 2 miles SE from Althorp Park station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4 NW of Northampton. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Northampton. Acreage, 2563 y population, 613. The manor belongs to Earl Spencer. Harlestone Hall is a chief residence. Traces of an old fort are on Dyve's Heath. The living is a rectory in the diocese-of Peterborough; net yearly value, £600 with residence. Patron, Earl Spencer. The church is of the 14th century,. very good, and has a tower which was built previous to 1264. There are a Baptist chapel and charities worth about £100 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Harlestone St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Brixworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms and marriages dates from the year 1570; burials, 1574.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower, with plain parapet and small circular pinnacles, containing 6 bells, rehung in 1888: the tower, which is the oldest part of the church, is a substantial structure built previous to 1280; the chancel, rebuilt, according to the register of Henry de Bray (Lansd. MS. No. 761) by Richard de Bette, rector in 1320, retains a piscina and three sedilia: the body of the church was completed in 1325: the clerestory windows are very late Perpendicular: there is another piscina in the south aisle: a brass lectern was placed here in 1893: an old oak pulpit, the materials for which came from Fotheringhay, replaced a very poor and plain one in 1890: the font is circular and plain and rests on a modern base, and was repaired in 1893, and the much mutilated cover restored to its original shape and size: on the north side of the chancel is a brass to Diana Gratia Shortgrave, ob. 1656, and a tablet to the Rev. Gilbert Andrew, a former rector, ob. 1808; and in the south aisle are memorials to Sir Salathiel Lovell kt. baron of the Court of Exchequer, d. 3 May, 1713; and Maria, his wife, d. 1719: there are also monuments to Henry Lovell, his only surviving son, d. 1724, and Mary, his wife; to Maria Townsend, daughter of Sir Salathiel Lovell, d. 1743; and to Samuel Lovell, his grandson, and captain of a company of Invalids, d. 1751, and the Lumley family: there is an incised slab to Richard de Bette, rector: in the north aisle are five tablets to members of the Andrew family: a stained east window was presented in 1897 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Victoria; there is another placed in 1899 by Neville Thursby esq. to his mother; and a third to Miss Cooch, erected in 1902.
There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1873.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harlestone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Harlestone (St. Andrew))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Harlestone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: