Hannington, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire, 6½ miles from Rettering station on the M.R., and 6½ NW by W from Wellingborough. Post town, Northampton; money order and telegraph office, Moulton. Acreage, 1248; population, 162. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is ancient, has a small tower, and was restored in 1869. There is a small dissenting chapel. Bishop Godwin was rector.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hannington St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Brixworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1538.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The church of SS. Peter and Paul, which occupies an elevated site, is a small building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north porch and a small but lofty embattled tower containing a clock and 2 bells: there are no aisles, but an arcade of three arches divides the nave longitudinally and supports the ridge of the roof, the eastern end of the arcade abutting against the point of the chancel arch: the west end of the church is Early English and the upper stage of the tower Decorated; the rest of the fabric is in the Transitional style from Early English to Decorated: on the south side of the chancel are two sedilia and a piscina; on either side is a low-side window: the church was restored in 1869 at a cost of £1,100, when the western gallery was removed and the tower arch opened: it now affords 130 sittings.
A small Nonconformist chapel was erected in 1865, seating about 80 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hannington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hannington (St. Peter and St. Paul))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hannington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: