Greens Norton, Northamptonshire
Greens Norton, a village and a parish in Towcester union, Northamptonshire. The village stands on Watling Street, near the river Tove, 2 miles WNW from Towcester station on the L. & N.W.R., and 6 WSW from Blisworth;. was formerly called Norton Davy, but took its present name from the Green family, who long held the manor; and it has a post office under Towcester; money order and telegraph. office, Towcester. The parish includes also the hamlets of Duncote and Field Bnrcote. Acreage, 2361; population, 829. The manor belongs to the Duke of Grafton. There is a mineral spring. Many of the inhabitants are shoemakers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value,, £270 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church is chiefly Decorated English, consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and S porch, with western tower and spire, and has some interesting tombs and monuments. It was restored in 1891. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. Catherine Parr is said to have been a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Greens-Norton St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Towcester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1565.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Bartholomew (parish church)
The church of St. Bartholomew is a large building of stone, dating from the Norman times, but now mostly in the Decorated style, and consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower with spire containing 5 bells and a clock: in the south aisle is a piscina and in the north aisle an altar tomb, with brass effigies of a knight in plate armour and his lady, shields of arms and a genealogical inscription on the margin to Sir Thomas Green kt. 1462, and Matilda (Throckmorton), his wife: near these are two recumbent effigies of a knight in armour and his lady: in the nave is a brass with effigy of a woman, the only remaining portion of a very large brass to Thomas Green and Mary (Talbot) his wife, c. 1490; in the nave is a brass inscribed to William Saunders, 1698; and on the north wall of the chancel is a marble monument to William Hicklinge esq. 1606, and Francis (Goodwin) his wife, 1603, with kneeling effigies beneath a canopy: the stained east window was presented by Catherine Mary Pinckard in commemoration of her 100th birthday, April 20th, 1896, and in the north aisle is another, presented by Elizabeth Whitton, of Blakesley, in 1891: the font is Norman: the church was restored in 1891 at a cost of £2,800, under the direction of Mr. E. Law, architect, of Northampton: a screen was erected in 1912 as a memorial to the late B. C. Foster esq. of Duncote: there are 450 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Greens Norton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Greens-Norton (St. Bartholomew))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Greens Norton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: