Great and Little Weldon, Northamptonshire
Weldon, Great and Little, a parish, with a village and a hamlet, in Northamptonshire, 8 miles WNW of Oundle, and 2½ E from Weldon and Corby station on the Nottingham and Kettering section of the M.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Wansford, and a fair on the Thursday after the second Sunday of July. Acreage, 3763; population, 759. The manor belongs to the Earl of Winchelsea. A Roman pavement, 100 feet by 50, and a great number of Roman coins were found at Chapel Fields in 1738, and vestiges of an ancient town are higher up the hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Winchelsea. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a western tower. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Weldon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Oundle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great and Little Weldon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Weldon, Great (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: