Great Oxendon, Northamptonshire
Oxendon, Great, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands half a mile W of the Northampton and Market Harborough branch of the L. & N.W.R., 2½ miles S of Market Harborough, and has a station, jointly with Clipstone, on the railway, and a post office, of the name of Oxendon, under Market Harborough; money order office, Clipstone; telegraph office, Market Harborough. The parish comprises 1352 acres; population, 213. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £500 with residence. The church is aa ancient building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, N and S porches, and an embattled tower; contains an effigies of Lady Gorges, and stands a quarter of a mile from the village on the brow of a hill. There are a dissenting chapel and a parochial school. Morton, who wrote the " Natural History of Northamptonshire," was rector.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Oxenden St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Harborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms dates from the year 1597; marriages and burials, 1564.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Helen (parish church)
The church of St. Helen, on the brow of the hill, a quarter of a mile from the village, is an ancient building of stone, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: the north porch is used as a vestry.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Oxendon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Oxenden, Great, or Oxendon Magna (St. Helen))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Great Oxendon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: