Great Houghton, Northamptonshire
Houghton, Great, a parish in Northamptonshire, near the river None, 2¾ miles ESE from Northampton, and 2 from Billing station on the L. & N.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Northampton; telegraph office, Little Houghton. The parish is crossed by the L. & N.W.R. and M.R. Acreage, 1712; population of the civil parish, 303; of the ecclesiastical, 310. Great Houghton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £567 with residence. Patron, Mag-dalen College, Oxford. The church is an edifice of stone in the Italian style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Houghton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hardingstone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an edifice of stone in the Italian style, consisting of small chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower surrounded with eight columns, the whole surmounted by an octagonal spire, and containing 2 bells: in 1884 a clock was placed in the tower at a cost of £81, and in 1908 the spire was restored at a cost of £120. The church was restored in 1878 at a cost of £800, when the south porch was built, the former windows replaced by others, the western gallery removed, the tower arch opened and the interior reseated. In 1910-11 the church was again restored, the sanctuary was deepened, the floor laid with Greek marble, a reredos and an altar of oak erected, and the walls covered to a height of seven feet with oak panelling: at the same time the east window was filled with stained glass. On the north side of the nave is a stained memorial window to the Hon. Frances Elizabeth Spencer, of Great Houghton Hall, who died 1 April, 1884. There are 120 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Houghton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Houghton, Great (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Great Houghton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: