UK Genealogy Archives logo

Furtho, Northamptonshire

Historical Description

Furtho, a parish in Northamptonshire, on Watling Street, near the river Ouse and the boundary with Bucks, 2 miles NW of Stony Stratford, and 2 W from Casttethorpe station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Potterspury, under Stony Stratford. Acreage, 693; population, 29. A village was here in the time of James I., but has disappeared, and the parish now consists of a farmhouse and two or three cottages. Part of Old Stratford is within the limits. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, £143. Patron, Jesus' College, Oxford. The church is a building of stone, and has an embattled western tower. The parish has an endowment derived from land of about £450, which is applied to the apprenticing of poor children of Lower Heyfordy Northampton, St Giles, Stone, Stony Stratford, and Weedon.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthamptonshire 
Ecclesiastical parishFurtho St. Bartholomew 
HundredCleley 
Poor Law unionPotterspury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1695.

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.


Churches

Church of England

St. Bartholomew (parish church)

The church of St. Bartholomew is a building of stone, consisting of chancel and nave and an embattled western tower containing one bell: the chancel retains a piscina; the church appears to have been built in 1620, but the chancel is older; it was thoroughly restored in 1870 at a cost of £100, defrayed by the trustees of Arnold's charity.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Furtho from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Furtho are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: