Fineshade, a small parish in Northamptonshire, near the river Welland and the boundary with Eutland, 1½ mile E from Wakerley and Barrowden station on the L. & N.W.R., and 10 NNW of Onndle. Post town, Stamford; money order and telegraph office, Duddington. Acreage, 802; population, 88. An Augustinian priory was built here in the time of King John, by Richard Engayne, on the site of an ancient fortress called Castle Hymel, and was given at the dissolution to the Eussels. Fineshade Abbey now occupies the priory's site, and is the seat of Edward Philip Monckton, Esq. The living is a donative in the diocese of Peterborough, but no clergyman is ever appointed.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fineshade St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Uppingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fineshade from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Fineshade (St. Mary))
Land and Property
Fineshade Abbey, an ancient building, was restored and modernized in 1856 and is now a mansion in the Italian style: it stands on the site of the priory, and a large portion of the original walls, several feet in thickness, is incorporated in the new work: the house is delightfully situated in a well-wooded park.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: